Dr Cameron’s Cholesterol Story
Our clinic recently began offering a series of preventive tests; specifically looking for risks of Cardio Vascular Disease; the leading cause of death in America.
We chose Atherotech VAP lab because their tests are very, very accurate. When I got my results from them, I felt proud because my labs were the best anyone had ever seen. Based on my results, I had the lowest risk for Cardio Vascular Disease…EVER!
We then discovered a complimentary test offered by CardioRisk Labs….this test checks the health of your corotid arteries. The two tests combined give us a very clear view of our patients’ heart health. For me, even though the first test was very positive, the second uncovered a bigger problem…
OMG! I have vulnerable plaque! Imagine a pimple forming in your artery that could possibly pop! And the result could be stroke or heart attack…BUMMER!!!! The guy that performed my ultrasound had done countless scans. He told me that many carotid ultrasound techs could have missed the plaque unless the were very experienced.
Wow! What am I doing wrong? (these are questions that arise naturally in my patients). Is it past injury, stress genetics? All of the above?
I never had the chance to meet my maternal grandparents because they died of unknown causes when my mom was still a kid, so I’ll likely never understand that part of the puzzle.
So my next question was, what do I do now? Statin drugs are the norm because they can (quoted from a doc board certified in lipidology) “suck the cholesterol out of the plaque ” in 3 to 5 years.
Statins drugs also decrease the livers’ ability to make cholesterol and 25% of your cholesterol is IN YOUR BRAIN!!!!
I now have a thoughtful treatment option that was only partially known to me. I am exploring further options for myself, my family and my patients. I implore you to consider Atherotech’s VAP blood test and CardioRisk’s carotid artery scan. Cardiovascular disease remains the #1 killer.., lets be PROACTIVE!!!
These two tests are complimentary in determining the health of your heart and your cardiovascular system. Together we can find a treatment plan based on your individual health heart needs.
Here are a good list of resources: I always advocate for my patients to read and educate themselves about their condition. Here are some of my mentors:
- A good source of information is Dr. David Permutter MD, board certified neurologist. He presents published data showing that statin drug users have increased incidence of Alzhiemer’s type dementia. Check out his book: “Grain Brain”
- Statin drugs are suspect for many problems. Uffe Ravnskov MD, PhD presents data suggesting that the cholesterol theory of cardiovascular disease is woefully inadequate. His book: “The Cholesterol Myth”
- Sergey Dzugan MD, PhD, through arduous literature search and impeccable citation, presents published data on the limitations of conventional testing and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
- Book: “The Magic of Cholesterol Numbers”
- I e-mailed a colleague/mentor,Tom Levy MD to ask his advice. He responded with a request: please read my book “Stop America’s #1 Killer “ Yet another great resource.
At the Cameron Wellness Center, we have the technology
to find out your true heart health. Come visit us!